-->

Friday, April 1, 2016

Trending Stocks in the Blogging Community!

Hi Investors,

I have been working on improving my Summary of Weekly Buys posts and I wanted to highlight a new feature I am adding. It is nice to see what was hot each week, but what if it is just a spurt that week but nothing more? Maybe the price was great one week, but the stock shot up and is no longer providing value for Dividend Growth Investors?

These questions are why I am adding this new section to my weekly summaries. I call it the "Trending Stocks"  section.


Hot Stocks2/222/293/73/143/213/284/44/114/184/255/2

DIS312
4






t
3436543210

WFC

1
3






t
0103210



RDS.B



2






t
0

210




PFE


3







t
0
3210




AMGN


2







t
0
210





BNS
312







t
3343210



GLD


2







t
0
210





STWD
1
2







t
10210





XOM

12







t
01210






It will be presented in a more friendly way, but above is the data that I will be using. For the week of 3/21, the top trending stocks are:
  • DIS (6)
  • BNS(3)
  • WFC(3)
  • RDS.B(2)
  • PFE(2)
 Here are the rules I am using:


Rules:









1Gets on the list when 2 buys happen in the same week
2Each week, number is reduced by 1 to slowly decay "trending"
3Each week, new buys are added to previous number
4There are no negative numbers
5There is no upper limit to the trending scale

Trend Value:
The idea is to slowly decay the trending stock numbers each week if there are no more buys. This way, a stock is not immediately removed from the list each week if there are no buys from the community. It could just be a fluke that no one bought it this week. Look at BNS for example. It did not have a buy last week, but the previous 3 weeks had 6 different buys. So it has a trend value of  3. You can see the decay over time in the chart above.

What do you think of this feature? Does it make sense? Do you think it will be useful? Can you suggest any improvements? Please let me know your thoughts!


Disclaimer: I am not a licensed investment professional. I am not liable for any losses suffered by any parties. Any information on this site is my opinion only and should not be used for investments of any kind.

6 comments:

  1. I like it, looking forward to the next summary. Will you be importing buys from the past few weeks in your next update ? Thx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Captain, thanks for the feedback! I will always be looking back to previous weeks as I move forward so I can get a trend history to start from. Above is real data from my summaries though so I will just pick up where the one above left off. Take care!
      -Adam

      Delete
  2. I like the addition since it kind of teases out the timing a bit. In essence there's no difference between buying on a Monday vs a Friday in this system but a company could completely drop off the list without the trending mechanism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly PIP! The weekly summaries are nice but they typically don't tell the whole story. This will hopefully help that. Thanks for the feedback!
      -Adam

      Delete
  3. Thanks for pulling this list together. It's good to see others are starting to buy STWD. I was getting tired of being one of a few DGI investors long on STWD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi IH! It is not a common name that I see either. Thats what is great about these summaries because they open others up to opportunities. I am sure you had some influence on these buys. Thanks for commenting!
      -Adam

      Delete